Friday 25 January 2013

Cushions for Kids Company

For the last couple of weeks or so I have been busily sat at my sewing machine every spare moment I could manage, making cushion covers for a charity called Kids Company. I have posted about this charity before, and this excerpt from their website says it better than I could ever do:

"Kids Company was founded by Camila Batmanghelidjh in 1996. We provide practical, emotional and educational support to vulnerable inner-city children.
Our services reach 17,000 children across London, including the most deprived and at risk whose parents are unable to care for them due to their own practical and emotional challenges. For many, the roles of adult and child are reversed and, despite profound love, both struggle to survive.
These exceptionally vulnerable children not only negotiate significant challenges in their family homes, they also face immense threat within their neighbourhoods. Often they are exposed to relentless violence, some are forced into working as drug couriers or prostitutes, and many experience chronic abuse.
We provide a safe, caring, family environment where support is tailored to the needs of each individual. Our services and support empower children who have experienced enormous challenges to lead positive and fulfilling lives. Despite great difficulties, the children we work with are hugely courageous and embrace the support we offer"

I am part of a team of volunteers organised by the lovely and generous Nicki who is regularly given the names of children especially in need of some love and comfort and she then distributes the job of cushion making amongst her volunteers. The children then have something colourful and comforting to hug, that they know has been made just for them. She has a website here.
All the cushion covers have a pocket on the front and the child's name on the back.
I get sent the pictures and the name of the child along with their age and what their colour choice is and I construct the cushion cover from there.
I try to pick up fabric at reduced prices either in the sales or at shows like the upcoming Sewing For Pleasure show at the NEC Birmingham from 21-24th March 2013 so that I have a ready stash of colours when the cushion orders come in.
Over the last couple of weeks I have made 9 cushion covers. I don't know who designed the bat picture on the left hand side of the middle row, but isn't it just wonderful!
When my list arrived, one little girl had no design or colur choice attached to her name, so I was able to make one up for her.

This is what I came up with. The birds are appliqued and the legs and feet and flowers are embroidered. I had such fun designing and making this.
Now all these cushions have been posted to and received by the children, so it's back to my stash buster challenge.
You make think I've a lot of work to do to catch up, having only posted Stash Buster Challenge No 1 so far and it is , by my reckoning, now the end of week 4, but fear not, I have been quietly getting on with them, and I'll be sharing the photos over the next week or so.

5 comments:

  1. These cushion covers are soooo beautyful! Congrats for your design! I think it's a great idea to do a little work for those kids, I hope it gives them a better feeling. Have a nice weekend! Sabine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Julie you are a lady of many talents, I'm sure they will give a lot of pleasure. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful talent Julie your cushions will be much appreciated I'm sure by their recipients - great project to be involved in.
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea and such a good cause. At this rate you'll have depleted your stash by Spring, and be off to the lovely John Lewis to replenish it!
    Have a great weekend ,
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your lovely comments. Mmmmm, Johm Lewis haberdashery is to me what the sweets at the supermarket checkout are to kids.I just cannot go past without taking a little peek and having an "I want, I need" moment.... Willpower seems to vanish in John Lewis!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...